Monday, April 20, 2015

Atlantia book review

Atlantia by Ally Condie • November 4, 2014 • Dutton Juvenile https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21944884-atlantia



Title: Atlantia

Author: Ally Condie

Genre: Young Adult Sci-fi

Plot:  Rio and Bay are sisters who live in the world of Atlantia, an underwater city protected from the world above.  When Bay lives for above, Rio is lost. She doesn't know how she can go on living her life.
 When Rio's aunt, who is a siren, starts to tell Rio secrets Rio isn't so sure what she believes in. Can Rio help protect Atlantia, or is it a lost cause?








My thoughts:

 This was a unique book. I've never read a book where the setting is an underwater city. That made this book fascinating, but at times hard to imagine.

I have read one other book by Ally Condie, Matched, which I had mixed feelings on it. That is same way I feel about this book.

I liked Bay and Rio's close sister relationship. They both loved each other so much that they  were willing to make sacrifices in order to help each other.
Also the romances between characters were sweet and clean, which is something rare in Young Adult Fiction.

I did however have some problems with this book.
I found the story odd and a bit morbid. It did have a few happy moments, but most of them were short.

My main problem with this book is the frequent discussion of a paganistic religion.Worshiping idols, praying to dead people, and strange miracles are a themes found throughout this book.



My rating: 1.5

4 comments:

  1. I've been curious about this book, but I've not seen many good things about it. Doubt I'll read it. Thanks for the review, Ella! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Grace!
      I didn't know much about this book before reading it. If I had I may not have read it. Oh,well.

      Delete
  2. I'll admit that I have been curious about this novel, but if I has all the stuff you mention at the end of your review I don't want to read it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete