Monday, July 7, 2014

The Fool's Girl book review


TO READ: The Fool's Girl by Celia Rees












Title:  The Fool's Girl



Author:  Celia Rees



Genre:  Teen Fiction



Plot:     Violetta is the daughter of the former Duke of Illyaria, who has fled her homeland with her friend Feste, a court fool.
 Violetta and Feste arrive in London where they met William Shakespeare. Violetta and Feste tell Shakespeare about there life, but Shakespeare isn't sure if he believes they tale.
 When events happen that prove Violetta and Feste's story is true William Shakespeare must decide whether or not to help them.



What I liked about this book:
    I learned a lot about William Shakespeare and his life as told through this story.



What I didn't like about this book:
   This book is based on Shakespeare's The Twelfth Night, which I haven't read. Since I haven't read the play this book could be confusing, which made it hard for me to connect to the characters.



Witchcraft is a prominent theme in this book, so there were several scenes I skipped.
 
Crude language and inappropriate things were in nearly every chapter.



My rating: 1

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a huge Shakespeare fan, so this probably isn't my "cup of tea," but I'm grateful you reviewed this one, Ella - it's just another book I won't have to wonder if it's worth reading as it sounds like I'm not missing much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a Shakespeare fan either, although some his plays sound interesting.

    This isn't the worst book I have ever read, but I didn't connect with it. That is why I gave it the rating I did.

    ReplyDelete