Thursday, July 10, 2014

Northanger Abbey book review


Leave it to Jane Austen to write a book that is both about a love of reading and a warning not to let your imagination run away with you.






Title: Northanger Abbey

Author: Jane Austen

Genre: Historical fiction

Plot: Catherine Moorland has lived a simple life with her parents and siblings in Fullerton, England.
 When Catherine is seventeen she is invited by the Allens' to join them in Bath.  Once in bath Catherine discovers a world of dancing, fashion, and haughty people.
 Catherine soon becomes friends with Isabella Thorpe and Eleanor Tilney- two very different people. Who is her true friend? The flirtatious Isabella or the quiet Eleanor?

What I liked about this book:    This is by far the least serious of Jane Austen's books. There are some funny quotes and conversations throughout this book.

There are many different characters with different personalities.
 I first thought that Catherine was a bit silly, but I soon found my self relating to her.

What I didn't like about this book:    There are many references and conversations about very old books that I haven't read, which could be confusing at times. Thankfully the copy I read had footnotes that helped to explain those references.

My rating: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment